Wednesday 9 September 2015

Estée Lauder Double Wear Foundation

Hello my lovelies! Apologies for my recent lack of posts! Having to pay for birthdays and other events has drained my purse completely, but lucky for you, I've managed to save some notes, and make a purchase at Estée Lauder! 


So a few months ago, I found out that my favourite foundation (L'Oreal True Match in shade Golden Vanilla/D2 W2) had been discontinued, and after weeks searching for a similar substitute, including MAC, L'Oreal, Clinique, and a mix between other high street and high end brands, I came across Estée Lauder's Double Wear Foundation at my local Boots Store for£30. I know it seems a lot, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

(Let me just give you some insight on why it's SO difficult for me to find the right shade of foundation. I'm asian, so my skin is yellow toned, like, no pink tones at all. I also have combination skin: dry cheeks and forehead, with a super oily t-zone and chin. Most high street brands only stock foundations and concealers with pink tones, to cater for caucasian skin tones. MAC have a foundation which matches my skin tone pretty well (even with some pink tones) however, I've experienced what a lot of other people have, breaking out! I never really get pimples until I used MAC Pro Longwear Foundation. But yes, the search seems to be never-ending.)

Thank goodness they gave out samples, and the lady at the desk was really helpful and helped me match a foundation to my shade (in this case, she just confirmed as I already matched myself). 

If you can get a sample, I really would recommend doing so!  It's a good way to test if the formula is right for your skin, as well as the colour. It'll give you some time to see if your skin will react too (breakouts, drying, even allergies).
Indoor lighting and natural lighting are very different, so if you swatch foundations, it's a good idea to then go outside and see how it is in natural lighting, you can also see how the foundation looks in other different lightings. 
Estée Lauder do offer a small bottle of foundation for samples, which they call a '10 day tester', but in my opinion, it can last way longer! I was able to get about two and a half weeks out of my little bottle...a little goes a long way!

Just give you some insight on why it's SO difficult for me to find the right shade of foundation. I'm asian, so my skin had strong yellow undertones, like, hardly any pink tones at all. I also have combination skin: dry cheeks and forehead, with a super oily t-zone and chin. Most high street brands only stock foundations and concealers with pink tones, to cater for caucasian skin tones. MAC have a foundation which matches my skin tone pretty well (even with some pink tones) however, I've experienced what a lot of other people have, breaking out! I never really get pimples until I used MAC Pro Longwear Foundation. But yes, the search seems to be never-ending.

Now, I know there are at least three different variations of their Double Wear foundation, but I discussed oily and combination skin with the lady at the desk, and she recommended the Stay-In-Place foundation, which mattifies oily areas, and it doesn't cake on the skin because it is so light. Saying that, it also gives medium to full coverage.


So this is the outer package: Navy blue with gold text, typical Estée Lauder colours. I do like it, it's simple, professional looking, and also very sophisticated. I feel like a city woman purchasing this. 
But yeah, you get the picture, it's simple but effective. 

It is SPF10, which is great for when you're going out and about. Protecting your skin from the Sun is so important! 


The shade of foundation is found at the top of the box, on a gold label. The Blue on Gold makes the text clearer, in my opinion. As a whole, it's pretty snazzy!


This is the foundation bottle. It's a matte glass, with gold and black text, and a gold lid. Holding the bottle, it seems quite small for 30ml, but it's actually quite large (sideways). The lady told me it lasted around 3 months. 30ml is the standard amount for foundation, and usually they do last around 3 months.



The foundation shade is found at the bottom of the bottle.
So, as you've probably guessed, I got the shade 'Bone' which is a light foundation with yellow undertones. Having already swatched, and used the sample for a couple of weeks, I can undoubtedly tell you that this shade if perfect for yellow toned fair skin.


This is the top of the bottle. Now, I'm not going to lie, I expected some sort of pump, or wand for this product, as it was quite pricey. It's just an open top. 
In experience with MAC Studio Fix Fluid foundation, I've found it quite difficult to get product out of the bottle, but this foundation is lighter in texture so it will come out reasonably easily...just be patient or it'll go everywhere! 
Remember to wipe the top clean too before putting the lid back on, or you can get build up, and in a few weeks, it can be really messy!


Here are two swatches. The one on top is a lighter swatch, and the one on bottom is a heavier swatch. 
You can see that it has some strong yellow undertones, but after a bit of blending, it does blend in well with skin with some pink undertones. (Just want to clarify, my face and neck, are NOT the same colour as my arms.)


I don't recommend buying this foundation online if you haven't watched before/if you don't know your shade already. I found that on the Estée Lauder website, the 'swatches' they have, don't accurately represent the foundation. 
As shown above, this foundation is quite warm and yellow, however, the website swatch shows this foundation as pink!



As you can see, I've selected the same shade I've purchased, and it's completely a misrepresentation! Completely different to what I swatched! But yet, same shade???

'W' in the shade code stands for 'Warm' which usually means yellow, orange or olive shades. Where are 'C' which stands for 'Cool' are for pink and peachy shades. It's as if Estée Lauder have switched swatches completely!
Basically, if you have yellow undertones, go for something W, and if you have pink undertones, go for something C!

If you don't know your shade, I would definitely recommend going to an Estée Lauder Makeup counter and asking someone to help match you, or swatch them yourselves if you're comfortable with that! 

The texture of this foundation is so light, easily blendable, and sits so well!

Now, for the question you're probably all asking...'Does it stay all day? Even on oily skin?'

I can honestly, say...

YES! One hundred times yes!

 It does exactly what it does what it says on the front!
My T-zone stayed matte most of the day (it gets very oily, so I'll take it!) and longer than with any other foundation I've used before! 

The coverage is beautiful, matte, and gives an light, even finish. I've never used  foundation like this before. It's so easy to work with, blends into the skin beautifully, and because it is a matte foundation, it sets soon after applying, so there's no need to rush with setting powder. That also means there's less chance of it sliding around throughout the day. 
The quantity of product itself lasts so, so long, and you need so little of it. Just dot some drops around your face, and blend with a brush in circular motions, and because it's such a lightweight foundation, you can build up layers and coverage with not trouble at all! 

In my opinion, it's definitely worth the money you pay. You can feel the quality on your skin, and you can definitely see it too! 

I give this product two thumbs up! If you're looking to treat yourself to a new foundation which stays all day, go pick this foundation up!

Thanks for reading, andI hope you found my review useful!

xoxo








No comments:

Post a Comment